- Women are rarely central protagonists — change agents in the news, movies or on TV. Only 24 percent of news stories feature women, for example — meaning 76 percent are likely about men.
- The male to female ratio in films hasn’t changed since 1946.
- Most of the top 100 grossing films of any year fail the Bechdel Test.
- They’re infinitely more likely to be isolated by virtue of their gender.
- Are rarely part of an ensemble cast of women who aren’t concerned with marriage.
- They are twice as likely to be portrayed as victims in media then men are.
This is why the Athena Film Festival, being held Feb. 7-10 in New York, is so important.