Why Society Still Needs Feminism
Because to men, a key is a device to open something. For women, it’s a weapon we hold between our fingers when we’re walking alone at night.
Because the biggest insult for a guy is to be called a “pussy,” a “little bitch” or a “girl.” From here on out, being called a “pussy” is an effing badge of honor.
Because last month, my politics professor asked the class if women should have equal representation in the Supreme Court, and only three out of 42 people raised their hands.
Because rape jokes are still a thing.
Because despite being equally broke college kids, guys are still expected to pay for dates, drinks and flowers.
Because as a legit student group, Campus Fellowship does not allow women to lead anything involving men. Look, I know Eve was dumb about the whole apple and snake thing, but I think we can agree having a vagina does not directly impact your ability to lead a
Because it’s assumed that if you are nice to a girl, she owes you sex — therefore, if she turns you down, she’s a bitch who’s put you in the “friend zone.” Sorry, bro, women are not machines you put kindness coins into until sex falls out.
Because only 29 percent of American women identify as feminist, and in the words of author Caitlin Moran, “What part of ‘liberation for women’ is not for you? Is it freedom to vote? The right not to be owned by the man you marry? The campaign for equal pay? Did all that good shit get on your nerves? Or were you just drunk at the time
of the survey?”
Because when people hear the term feminist, they honestly think of women burning bras. Dude, have you ever bought a bra? No one would burn them because they’re freaking
Because Rush Limbaugh.
Because we now have a record number of women in the Senate … which is a measly 20 out of 100. Congrats, USA, we’ve gone up to 78th place for women’s political representation, still below China, Rwanda and Iraq.
Because recently I had a discussion with a couple of well-meaning Drake University guys, and they literally could not fathom how catcalling a woman walking down University Avenue is creepy and sexist.
Could. Not. Fathom.
Because on average, the tenured male professors at Drake make more than the tenured female professors.
Because more people on campus complain about chalked statistics regarding sexual assault than complain about the existence of sexual assault. Priorities? Have them.
Because 138 House Republicans voted against the Violence Against Women Act. All 138 felt it shouldn’t provide support for Native women, LGBT people or immigrant women. I’m kind of confused by this, because I thought LGBT people and women of color were also human beings.
Because a girl was roofied last semester at a local campus bar, and I heard someone say they think she should have been more careful. Being drugged is her fault, not the fault of the person who put drugs in her drink?
Because Chris Brown beat Rihanna so badly she was hospitalized, yet he still has fans and bestselling songs and a tattoo of an abused woman on his neck.
Because out of 7 billion people on the planet, more than 1 billion women will be raped or beaten in their lifetimes. Women and girls have their clitorises cut out, acid thrown on them and broken bottles shoved up them as an act of war. Every second of every day. Every corner of the Earth.
Because the other day, another friend of mine told me she was raped, and I can no longer count on both my hands the number of friends who have told me they’ve been sexually assaulted. Words can’t express how scared I am that I’m getting used to this.
Because a brief survey of reality will tell you that we do not live in a world that values all people equally and that sucks in real, very scary ways. Because you know we live in a sexist world when an awesome thing with the name “feminism” has a weird connotation. Because if I have kids someday, I want my son to be able to have emotions and play dress up, and I want my daughter to climb trees and care more about what’s in her head than what’s on it. Because I don’t want her to carry keys between her fingers at night to
Because feminism is for everybody, and this is your official invitation.
- natural-esque reblogged this from thewastedgeneration
- violetsaffron reblogged this from mysterylullaby
- spookyrest reblogged this from thewastedgeneration
- shes-over-bored-and-self-assured reblogged this from thewastedgeneration
- theclumsywolf reblogged this from bunnnyfae
- annietumbls likes this
- trippinsnogging likes this
- psychoticalexis likes this
- lacauseperdue likes this
- rockabillyatheist reblogged this from thewastedgeneration
- rockabillyatheist likes this
- gillianashleigh likes this
- gillianashleigh reblogged this from soup-can
- cuteindie reblogged this from thewastedgeneration
- cuteindie likes this
- paurdzb likes this
- mean-redz likes this
- tekjack711 reblogged this from waterussia
- ap0calyptic likes this
- anniedoughty12 likes this
- soup-can reblogged this from thewastedgeneration
- d-eadward reblogged this from confessions-of-a-fuckup
- shonnan likes this
- chrispychreme99 likes this
- polipeaches reblogged this from ahntagonist
- can-someone-please-explain likes this
- cutie-fruitiy reblogged this from ready4thesunshine
- h3r-name-is-novemb3r reblogged this from fiercely-endangered
- reckllessly reblogged this from summercamelikecinnamon-so-sweet
- mysterylullaby reblogged this from voodoo---princess
- justbreathe-bfree reblogged this from thewastedgeneration
- rhishi22 likes this
- rhishi22 reblogged this from thewastedgeneration
- aciddelic likes this
- bobbieflo likes this
- fiercely-endangered likes this
- stay-for-the-same reblogged this from drugs-ar-us
- summercamelikecinnamon-so-sweet reblogged this from drugs-ar-us
- southern-surf likes this
- otaku-taco-truck reblogged this from waterussia
- dazyflouher likes this
- the-worstway reblogged this from thewastedgeneration
- the-worstway likes this
- 2isbetterth3n1 reblogged this from thewastedgeneration
- 2isbetterth3n1 likes this
- constantshock likes this
- g00d-grl-b4d-grl reblogged this from thewastedgeneration
- mo0n-chi1d likes this
- fyeahshanna likes this
- int0xicated--inn0cence reblogged this from summbug